- 100g dried red lentils
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 400mls boiling water
- Add the oil to a pan and heat on the hob, add the chopped onion and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add the chopped carrot (and any other optional chopped veg e.g. mushroom, pepper, courgette, aubergine).
- Add the red lentils and the tin of tomatoes to the pan and stir.
- Add 200 mls of boiling water and add seasoning – black pepper and herbs.
- Bring to boil and simmer for at least 30 mins or until lentils are soft.
- Keep an eye on it and stir ever so often. The lentils will soak up the water and become thick. Once getting thick, add another 200 mls of water, it may need a bit more water towards the end.
- Once cooked blend using a blender. If you prefer a chunky sauce, no need to blend!
- Serve with your choice of pasta, to be extra healthy add a portion of salad on the side.