Lazy day cooking
When you are having one of those days when you have run out of fresh food, then this is a great meal to whip up when you think you have nothing! I like to have a good stock of canned foods in including a good selection of beans and the always useful tins of chopped tomoatoes. This meal is not only easy, but also high in fibre. I’ve called it ‘cheats bean chilli’ as I shamelessly use a can of mixed beans already in a chilli sauce! This recipe makes 2-3 portions, add more tins of beans and veg to go further.
- 1 x tin of mixed beans in a chilli or spicy sauce
- 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
- A selection of chopped veggies from the fridge (I used onion, pepper, courgette, mushrooms and spinach leaves)
- 1 x teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 x teaspoon of oregano
- 75g uncooked rice per person (I used brown rice for higher fibre)
- Add a little olive oli to the pan, fry off the chopped onions and then the rest of the veggies
- Add the can of mixed beans and chopped tomatoes and stir
- Add seasoning
- Leave the chilli to simmer while you prepare and cook your rice (as per packet instructions).
Serve your chilli with your rice and enjoy!
Let us know if you have had a go and what ingredients you used, I love to hear about different ideas!
If you like this recipe, then check out more recipes on our recipe page here.