This sweet tasting root vegetable is easy to cook into wedges. They are a source of carbohydrate, fibre, vitamins A, C and B6 and unlike potatoes they can be counted towards your 5 a day!
They are also friendly for people with a disorder called PKU as they are low in protein and phenylalanine and do not have to be counted in the diet.
Homemade Sweet potato wedges are a good alternative to chips.
- Sweet potato
- Olive oil
- Pepper / herbs / spices / dried chilli flakes
- Heat oven to 200c / gas mark 6
- Chop potatoes into wedges as shown below
- Place wedges on a baking tray and sprinkle olive oil and flavouring on top
- Mix together using 2 wooden spoons so that all of the wedges are coated in oil
- Bake in oven for 20-30mins until cooked (soft on inside and crispy on the out).
For a healthy diet enjoy with your protein source and veggies or salad.
For a healthy PKU diet enjoy with veggies or salad or even try a low protein sausage or burger teamed up with veg or salad.